My Advice to Future College Students

I cannot believe that I will be walking across the stage to receive my college diploma in 9 days. To think about all of the challenges God has brought me through is absolutely unreal. From seriously thinking I might fail a class, to wanting to give up and move back home, to writing papers until 3 am, to lots of heartbreak and lost friendships--it's incredible to think back and see how God was working in every situation, every time.

With that said, it hasn't been the easiest journey. You are suddenly out in the real world, all alone, and mom and dad are SO FAR AWAY. You start thinking about having to pay bills, how you will ever be able to afford a down payment on a house, and how you will survive all of those roommates. In the past six months, I have finally started to feel like I am going to be okay and begun to really start creating my life in Seattle.

Here are the three most important things God has taught me over the past four years. These things take time, and lots of prayer, but they have set me free to live the life that God has in store for me. A life of joy, passion, love, laughter, freedom, grace, struggle, courage, and healing.

1. Stop competing with others. Focus on finding your place in the body of Christ and live your own journey.
For the longest time, I was always comparing myself to other people. Comparing my clothes, how fast I was, my grades, how much money I made (or will make), how often I went to church, how much I read my bible, what I ate for dinner...the list could go on and on. I quickly realized that comparing myself to others is the quickest way to live a life of anxiety, jealousy, and constant striving. There will always be someone faster, better, stronger, and richer; realize that now and get over it. We all have strengths and we all have weaknesses. But that is my absolute favorite part about how God created us. We are all unique, good at some things, bad at others, and it is only when we are working together that we can fully live out God's story.

Focus on building your strengths, quickly admitting your weaknesses and trying to do your best. We are all on our own journey, with our own purpose, live it out and set yourself free from what you think about yourself and from what others may think of you. Stop comparing yourself to everyone else's journey--God has a unique purpose for each of us, and often times that purpose changes with each season of life, so don't get too attached to it.

2. Learn to live in a state of grace, and find friends and mentors that do the same. 

You will mess up. You will forget an assignment. You will leave your straightener on. You will become frustrated at a friend for no reason. You will hang up on your mom in tears because you are ridiculously stressed, stretched, and tired. Learn to say sorry. An apology is an amazing point of acknowledging that you, yes, YOU, are not perfect. Be willing to see your weaknesses and mistakes, say sorry, and try to do better next time. Don't let things weigh down on you. Instead, forgive yourself and forgive others as quickly as possible.

This has been one of the most essential things for me in learning how to live freely in God's story. I have had to learn to let go of being perfect (or at least appearing to be) and realize that I will make mistakes. Some days are just EPIC FAILURES, and now I have learned to say, "Oh well, tomorrow is a new day." Try it.

Equally important is finding people in your life that also live in a state of grace, and will bestow grace upon you as much as you need (which is a lot). We are all just doing our best to live as much like Jesus as possible, which is a VERY tall order. We need to make sure we understand that we all have the best intentions, but will EPICALLY FAIL....daily.

Forgive yourself. Forgive others. And live freely.

Another aspect of this is learning to appreciate different seasons of life, and recognizing everyone is on their own journey. Remember that time you were living in sin? Just because you are now out of it, doesn't mean everyone else will be out of their season too. Extend the same grace Jesus extended to you through that time (and the future times). Shower the same love Jesus showered on you. Pray for them, live life with them, and remember that we all go through hardships, we all make mistakes, and we are all simply doing our best.

3. Being uncomfortable is a good thing, and you need to get used to it.

Everyone always says if you aren't uncomfortable, you aren't growing. I have found this to be very true. Don't let your fear of being uncomfortable stop you from joining that volleyball team, small group, or going on that job interview. And really, you need to get used to being uncomfortable. As I have been running around in the adult world, I have realized I have to do multiple things a day that make me uncomfortable. Whether it's having a tough conversation with a friend, going to ask for an extension on a paper, or having to workout in a gym full of men. You just have to find your confidence in God, believe in yourself, and know that in each uncomfortable moment you are learning something new. You are only the new girl once. You only have to go on that first date once. You can do it. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there, most of the time the reward is SO worth it.

_____________________________________________________________________

I'll close with a story from my classroom, a place where I learn SO MUCH and fail SO MUCH, but that's the beauty of it.

Some students were making fun of another student. I don't remember why, but I do remember her saying, "WHATEVER! Screw you all." I looked at her and quickly processed how I should respond while she gazed at me ready for her rebuke, and simply said, "You tell 'em. You do you!!" This response completely lit her face up, and she walked away beaming with pride.

At the end of the day, what college has taught me is that you just have to do you. Don't worry about what others are doing, learn to say sorry when you mess up, and don't be afraid to stretch yourself.

Just do you while immersing yourself in God's peace and surrounding yourself with friends that are willing to walk with you in a state of grace.












Comments

  1. Hi Kendra,
    let me introduce to my project Jesus Reassembled.
    I just started Indiegogo camapign and I would like to kindly ask you if you want to cooperate to promote this campaign.
    It would be very hlepful for me. It cost me a lot of energy and I´am trying all ways to promote this project.
    Indiegogo camapign: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jesus-reassembled--2#/story

    I made these videos:
    *main video:* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP4VY9VXZmk
    *development:* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlnipKqKboU
    *how the kit works:* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG1DMRObxeg


    thanks for sharing


    Vojtěch Valda (author)

    official website: www.jesusreassembled.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really interesting post. Often I avoid things as they make me uncomfortable and I should know better. I recently joined a new church and have only attended cell group a handful of times as they all know each other and I feel a bit awkward. This is silly as I need this, my husband is not a Christian and we need fellowship. I have vowed to make more of an effort when it starts again in September. I also stay in my comfort zone with driving, after 23 years I still don't like to drive out of my home town! My husband always drives when we go out of town so I have let this linger on. Thank you for the push, you are wise beyond your years. xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Revelations of Greek yogurt and workouts

School Shootings Cry Out for Education Revolution